Friday, 31 May 2013

Social Media - The Good, The Bad, and the 'Not-So-Private'

            Yes, I am a member of a few social networking websites. The two that I use most often are Facebook and Instagram. I joined these networks a while ago because they allowed me to connect with my friends and always be in-the-know with events occurring at school, with my loved ones, etc. They are also very user-friendly, efficient, and quick. I am able to communicate and connect with whoever in just about no time, as long as I have internet access.
            I do not check my privacy settings often; however I always have my accounts on private. Absolutely no one who is not my “friend” on Facebook is able to view my personal information or pictures. That way, although people can find my account, they can never really view anything that I do not want them to.
            I personally think that it is unsafe to post personal information on social networking sites because, although privacy settings may be activated, nothing shared on the internet is ever really “private”. There are always ways to hack accounts and steal information from others. Some other unsafe activities are:
- bullying or harassing others
- posting specific times when you will be at specific places
- keeping accounts on a public setting
- allowing someone you do not know to be your “friend”
            We can become more responsible users of social networks by keeping ourselves and our loved ones safe. Similar to the real world, online interactions can be dangerous. We must constantly be aware of our accounts, who can view them, and what we are putting out for the world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment